Plein Air Painting



Adebanji Alade has inspired me to try Plein Air painting in the winter. The temperature was up to 41 degrees and sunny today. I was surprised I didn’t need gloves.

I’m a very slow painter and with the sun moving it was a real challenge for me. I could have picked an easier subject but decided to be comfortable and sit in the swing in my backyard and paint what ever looked interesting.

I forgot to squint my eyes to block out detail through three fourths of the way. I left my small brushes in the studio and found using large and medium forced me to focus on the masses. After a little over an hour the shadows changed too much to continue and my feet needed warming so I called it a day. I took a photo before I started so I can finish it in the studio or paint on location tomorrow if the weather cooperates.



I saw flocks of geese flying north so maybe this is a good sign that spring is coming! I think I could become addicted to Plein Air painting even if my results aren’t that great yet.

10 comments:

  1. Carol, Your piece looks great already . I love the shadows and the window . I have a thing for window and doors. can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great start on this one, I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the weather, the next few days will be perfect for plein aire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. En Plein Air is a totally different approach. I've done bunches in watercolor, pastel and oil. Love 'em all, but you do have to be decisive and quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dominique - Thanks for your encouraging words. I have done a few painting of my garden shed in the summer. This is my favorite backyard subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carrie, maybe I can talk you into going out painting tomorrow. The snow is melting fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki - Maybe that will come with time, I hope. I was all thumbs yesterday and spent more time cleaning paint off the swing and my jacket than painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you...getting out and doing plein air! The painting looks terrific so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dean - I went out yesterday and was disappointed that all the beautiful snow was melting and turning into grey mush. I'm glad I took a photo so I can finish it in my studio. I can't wait until spring! Thanks for stopping by and your nice comment on my attempt at Plein Air Painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol...great work for never painting plein air...don't stop now! If you do it a couple times a week you will be amazed how quickly you will begin to edit the scene and see color so much better than ever before! You are a great painter...you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Theresa - I have done Plein Air painting in past but never in the WINTER and I'm still all thumbs at it. My experience is quite limited any time of the year. I do plan to make a practice of it now that I have a Pochade box. Thanks for your kind words and encouraging comment.

    ReplyDelete