Trying to Paint Plein Aire


Carrie, Shawna & Gypsy

My daughter Carrie and I went plain aire painting today. Now that the the fall colors are starting to show, it is a great time to find exciting landscapes. I am such a novice at this and thought an overcast day would be easier than trying to chase the light and shadow on a sunny day. Well my painting turned to mud but my daughter came away
with a beautiful painting! She is such a natural at this!

The day wasn't a complete waste for me, I found a great place to go mushrooming next fall and my spouse filled his trailer full of oak logs for burning this winter. So today was a great day!
My Mud Painting

I am surprised the colors look so drab now that I'm back in my studio. My main focus was to try and match the colors. I have much to learn about plein aire painting! Be sure to check Carrie's painting on her blog, her colors are awesome!


5 comments:

  1. Yes, it was fun. Maybe I should have put the dogs in my painting, they're running right into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious that you and your daughter have this special activity together. I hope when my daughter is older [she's 12 now] she might want to still do "stuff" with mom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today was indeed a great day! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for introducing us to your daughter's wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I think it's great that you share this passion with your daughter!
    My own experience with plein air is similar to yours...one teacher kindly said, "mud is the foundation for the color".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day you had! Your painting looks like a great "start" to me! As Dana said, you have the "foundation" for a wonderful autumn memory! You and Carrie have inspired me to get outside and give plein aire a try!

    ReplyDelete