Snowbirds

"Snowbirds"
6x8 oil on canvas
Carol Horzempa

This is my submission for the Alice Thompson's Calypso Moon Artist Movement monthly challenge. The title of this challenge is "Painting History." Alice asked us to capture a moment in time we witnessed that involves people, tell why we chose the subject and how it relates to us"

This painting was inspired by a photo I took on Florida's Emerald Coast while walking along the beach on a foggy overcast day. I spotted two "Snowbirds" sitting in plastic lawn chairs and couldn't help but snap a picture. The woman in red seemed to be waiting for her partner to wake up after being lulled to sleep by the rhythm of the waves or could it be boredom? The three figures in the far distance are my husband and son with the family dog.

This is our favorite beach that we often visit while vacationing in the south where our son lives. We just had our first snowfall today so in a few weeks we will be heading south again just like "Snowbirds" for a little fun on the beach and time with our son during the Holidays.


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting of the snow birds. Yes, she is either waiting for him to awaken, or she is yelling in his ear to wake up! Odds are, the sound of the surf is drowning out her voice. Have a great trip south & enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun painting Carol! Your figures are wonderful and you have a great sense of that beach atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you've captured the fog, and figures at three distances which give a great sense of scale, and contrast with the vastness of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I can hear the waves and feel the sun. What a lovely painting, I too, love the way you have shown the figures in the distance, and captured the movement of the water. Great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real nice painting Carol. At times I"m one of those birds...but definitely not often enough...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well conceived Carol. Now I know where all our snowbirds are hanging out and what they are doing. While I write this and watch the snow fall outside my studio window. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely! Makes me want to be there! :)

    ReplyDelete