November Grays

"November Grays"
6x8 oil on wood panel
Carol Horzempa

Today was a great day to do a quick study of subtle grays on an overcast day. This was done at the nearby Kettle Moraine State Forest. I used a limited palette of Cadmium Yellow Light, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White. I tried to focus on color and just painting the masses.

Shawna was being a good guard dog chasing away a red fox while I painted. We also had a chance to do a bit of nature hiking. Shawna is a bird dog and while hiking she flushed this young bird out of the brush. I think it might be a baby pheasant. I hope it can survive the winter, it seems so young.

12 comments:

  1. Your palette conveys the ambiance beautifully -- and I love the story that goes with your early-winter day en plein air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, this limited palette is definitely working for you and you have captured the grays so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story and an even better painting Carol...I love that you have such a great guard dog while you paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol, I think the limited palette, really works. Loved seeing your dog and the surrounding area. The composition is great, I just wandered right in and into the grays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this little painting, the photo of the pheasant is great too. I hope you were able to get some painting in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol glad you stopped by my blog it led me to yours. You have some beautiful soft greys in this one, just a lovely colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly found beauty in November, both in your lovely painting and the photo of the immature pheasant (or whatever its cute self is!) I am so glad I found your blog, and I will be back to see what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful landscape, Carol - I love the muted palette. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grays really set this painting up nicely, Carol!!
    The bird in the photo is, in my opinion, a bobwhite quail. They don't grow nearly as large as a pheasant. So, this guy has a good chance to make it through the upcoming winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. With such greys, there's no more need for any other colors at all! Nice one.

    ReplyDelete