Begonia Study


Begonia Study
5x6 oil on canvas
Carol Horzempa

This was intended for James Coulter's Nature Arrangement Challenge on Daily Paintworks. He challenged artists to stand between one to six feet away from flowers on the ground and paint them in one hour, (no cheating). A limited palette of Cad. Yellow Med. or light, Cad. Red Light, Ultra Blue and White was also part of this challenge.

To start off I noticed my timer kept stopping and I lost track of my time. I also realized I broke one of the rules of not using white except with blues and purples. My flowers were peach so just red and yellow wasn't working.

After not sticking to the rules I decided to take a picture and finish the painting in my air conditioned studio. Next time I will try Cad. Yellow Light, buy a new timer and not sneak back to my studio with a photo before the painting is done.

This is really a fun challenge but I'm finding flowers are really hard to paint!



3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. There's some dna in artists that makes it hard to follow rules! I think you ended up with a nice painting---beautiful color, contrast and wonderful sense of movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I like the loose brushstrokes and the vibrant color of the begonias. I really struggled with the color palette used for this challenge. I may try it again today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has some nifty brushwork, and almost an abstract quality.Very dramatic, I like it!

    ReplyDelete